December 16, 2008

The Treasure Hunt

This semester at Cypress College blew by so fast! During one of my last shooting assignments, I had the students go out and find several items on campus - a chair, a plant, the Cypress College obelisk, and a book. They had to either find or come up with unique shots and perspectives while varying their compositions. The images they came up with were so cool! Here's a collage of the images that my students took:

In many ways photography is like a "treasure hunt". Every situation, environment, event, or subject can have a story that can be told by images taken of it. And there is always that gem of an image that will tell the story differently by the visual impact it creates. The collage above shows just a few (out of countless) different perspectives and possibilities that a simple object can have. You just have to look for it.

It was a pleasure to teach this semester. I'll be back at Cypress College next Fall in 2009 for the 104C Wedding Photography Class.

Tags: Cypress College Wedding Photography Class by Greg Bumatay, Photo 104C, Digital photography classes at Cypress College, Orange County Photography Courses, Fall Semester 2008, learn photography

8 comments:

Euphoria Imaging said...

Greg!! It was a great pleasure to have you, I think I may have to retake your class, and try to be more serious next semester, since well, you know.. I had a hell of a time finding people, but hopefully this next time around, I am ready, and will have no PC crash.. Cheers and Happy Holidays too you! =)

AHS Photography said...

These are really cool!! You are such a talented photographer and I think it's so great that your students get to have a teacher that is current in the industry :)

Anonymous said...

That picture with you and the students is awesome!

The Actual Joey Himself said...

So true. It's our job to make what we photograph look cool. "Boring" is not in our vocabulary. Make it work, make it fun!

Anonymous said...

ooh!!! hi greg! i'm so happy because i think 3 of my pictures made it to your collage!

but i totally agree. i will be taking your class again. this time with a better sleeping schedule.

thank you for all that you've done!

Judy Kay Bryan said...

Your photography inspires me...I have never been to school for photography. photosbyjkay.ifp3.com Comments please! good or bad

Brandi Apodaca said...

greg I am glad i took your class. you taught me a lot!! I am thinking of taking your class again if my schedule allows. it was a pleasure meeting you. i'm sure i'll see you in the fall!!

Roselle said...

I hope your planning to teach another class next spring. I could not register for your class this fall because of work schedule, I feel like I missed a huge opportunity.